Connected to the Madness



Connected to the Madness
By: Day's Posts


 
Description: created on an iPhone, produced in Imovie and Premiere Pro. 
Creation Date: January 17, 2023 



I wanted my video to relate to McLuhan’s passages about the invasion of technology and its effects on the way we process the world around us, and how it can connect us, and create community and conformity. But, my main focus was on the ways in which those same technologies have created distance from the way we experience life. The ways in which it disconnects us from moments where we want to be fully present, and how it can disrupt our thinking on communication with each other. I used these statements from McLuhan’s text within my video to explain the meaning behind what the viewer is seeing. McLuhan states on page 63, “Because of electric speed, we can no longer wait and see” as well as, “Information pours upon us, instantaneously and continuously… Our electrically-configured world has forced us to move from the habit of data collection to the mode of pattern recognition. We can no longer build serially, block-by-block, step-by-step, because instant communication insures that all factors of the environment and of experience coexist in a state of active interplay”. 



Okay, ill be honest when getting the prompt for this project I was thinking, ‘Oh shoot, how will I ever come up with an idea for this’. Because I had never really been asked to make my own video before, so trying to come up with an idea that would suffice and still try to get the point across was a bit difficult. I had spent the whole weekend trying to rack my brain for ideas on what I could possibly do. But after sitting with the reading, going through passages about time and space in relation to modernism, and looking up how modernism has “imploded” our society, I came to mind. And in my desperate need of time, the idea in my head wasn't able to come through as I had wanted, so I thought of the next best thing… film myself taking a walk around College Ave! And see what I could come up with. So, with all that being said, I hope you guys enjoy it!!



Comments

  1. Hi Day! I really like your video. I relate to the last paragraph of your blog, where I had an idea in my head but I was concerned with how to make that come across in video form. I think you did a great job with this! I like your choice of music, I think electronic music was a good choice for the topic you were investigating through this project which was that technology has the potential to act as a barrier to viewing life authentically but it also allows us to connect to others and make cool things! Also your ending was funny and chaotic. Good job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end really brings the chaos of social media to life. I thought the glitching was funny and fitting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how effectively you captured the jarring interruption of a phone notification. I keep my sound notifications turned off at all times, I only turn the sound on when I am waiting for a specific thing in a specific time frame. I hate when I'm spending time with someone and the notification rings and I can tell they're distracted, that they either turn and check it immediately or you can just see that the thought is in the back of their head about what the notification was for. I think the juxtaposition (lol fancy word) of the calm beginning and then that jarring shift at the end captures this so well!! It also brings some comedy to a problem that can be serious and intense which I super appreciate :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ataraxy: Soundscape Proj.

So... what's my deal? Get to know me