So... what's my deal? Get to know me



    I'm Daynesia (Day-ne-sha), but I usually use Day because it's more convenient for me. I'm a sophomore studying Studio art and a minor in Ethnic studies. However, my passion is to be a Graphic Designer and to potentially work as a production artist or in advertising/marketing.


My world is filled with movie-watching, napping 💤, music listening, introversion (by choice, because my alone time is so meaningful to me), word crosses, and knitting 🧶. But also one that has had its fair share of hardships, sacrifices, and turmoil. Even though I've had to trudge through my life, it's taught me perseverance and what it means to give your all for something you want. Additionally, it's taught me how to think creatively and the possibility of wonder because even though I'm pessimistic about certain things in life, I also see the bright side. Creative expression and the magical process of art-making have become a significant part of my life, all the ins, and outs of inspired pieces. In the past, my love for art or anything creative tended to come from negative emotions due to that being my way of self-expression and pouring out my emotions into my art as a way of healing, and through art, I've turned those negative emotions into something meaningful and communicative. Being African American myself, I use it as a way to comment on the Black experience. I use my artwork to comment on my emotions and experiences about the world and the unspoken hardships within the community. 



(Figure 1: Ap Art project of Billie Holiday and her infamous song Strange Fruit; Figure 2: Print and Paper course about what it's like to go through social conformity and self-expression/ identity; Figure 3: Ap Art project about Aubre Lorde and recognizing Black LGBTQ figures throughout history)


"There is absolutely no inevitably as long as there is a willingness
 to contemplate what is happening" 

-Marshall McLuhan, 24  

Comments

  1. Hey Day! I really like the vibe of your arts. I too spend time alone by choice -- I'd mostly put on headphones and just temporarily escape the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day,
    This post was beautiful. Art is something that can be extremely expressive and meaningful. I too have found that art plays a significant part in my life. I've found pouring my emotions into the pieces I create give me an outlet to let my emotions show without me physically vocalizing them. I truly loved your openness and truth in this post. Art can grant us the space to vocalize who we are and I can’t wait to see more of your work. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connected to the Madness

Ataraxy: Soundscape Proj.